National fishing licences

The following fishing licence system applies in Finland (from 1.1.2016 onwards):

Fishing is limited so that it is prohibited to fish in rapids and running water in Iakes and rivers populated by salmon, trout and whitefish or in other areas in which fishing is prohibited under other rules or regulations. Lure fishing can be prohibited by separate decisions in certain waters.

The National fishing management fee

Everyone between the ages of 18 and 64 needs to pay the national fishing management fee before they start fishing, including crayfishing. Angling with a rod and line, or ice fishing is excempt of the fee.

In 2023, the fishing management fee is:
47 euros / calendar year
16 euros / 7 days
6 euros / day

Paying the management fee entitles you to practice lure fishing using one rod, reel and lure across Finland. The fee is personally paid for and payment is non-transferable.You need to keep the receipt of payment with you when you go fishing in case you encounter a fishing supervision officer.

How do I pay the licence fee?

1) By direct online payment

The fee can be paid through the web shop of the National Board of Forestry (Metsähallitus). You will first need to register an account at  the web shop with your name, address and date of birth before paying the fee. After payment you are given a receipt, which you can print or save to your computer or mobile device.

2) By mobile app

You can download the Eräluva- mobile app and pay the fee through the app.

3) By telephone

The fees can be paid by calling the service number 020 69 2424 (weekdays 9:00 - 15:00). You will be asked to give your name, address and date of birth. You will be sent an invoice for the fisheries managment fee. Save the receipt of payment, and keep it with you while fishing.

4) In R-kiosks and Nature Centres

The fee can be directly paid for in the chain of convenience stores,  R-kioski, found throughout the country, as well as in the Nature Centres of the National Board of Forestry. You are then given a receipt of payment, which you should keep with you while fishing.

Permission given by owner of the water area

In addition to the fisheries management fee, a permit sold by the water owners is required for any other types of fishing (for example, gill nets, fyke nets, and cray fishing) than lure fishing. This also applies to fishing competitions. Please contact us for more information info(at)

The above mentioned regulations for fishing do not apply to Aland Islands, which has has its own fishing law in force.